Simplified Employee Pension (SEP)
A Simplified Employee Pension (SEP) is a tax-deferred retirement plan that is easy to administer and allows employers to make fully discretionary contributions for themselves and their employees.
Features and Benefits
- Employer contributions are deductible as a business expense and not required every year. The employer may increase, decrease, or skip annual contributions as necessary.
- An easy to set up and maintain retirement plan.
Annual Contribution Limits
- For 2018, up to 25% of the participant’s compensation or $53,000, whichever is less.
- For 2018, a personal contribution limit of up to $5,500 (or $6,500 if age 50 or older) into an individual SEP, Traditional, or Roth IRA. (All contributions to the SEP-IRA Plan are made by the employer; however, employees can contribute to their personal IRA accounts.)
- Generally, employees who are over age 21, earn at least $550 annually, and have worked for the same employer in at least three of the past five years must be allowed to participate.
Free Strategy Session
Are you ready to take the next step with a self-directed IRA?
A free strategy session with our team includes a review of your questions, retirement goals and self-directed IRA account options.